Post Doc Researcher
University of Victoria (UVic)/University of British Columbia (UBC)/Hakai Institute
PhD. University of São Paulo
MSc. Federal University of Rio Grande
I completed a PhD on Biological Oceanography, with main research interest on phytoplankton ecology and photo-physiology, primary production, ocean color and remote sensing of the ocean, coastal water bio-optics and riverine-coastal oceanography. The main focus of the current project is to combine high resolution satellite remote sensing with in situ oceanographic sampling to examine the spatial and temporal variability of the physical, chemical and biological properties of the coastal oceans from British Columbia to Southeast Alaska. The project aims to address what are the spatial and temporal dynamics of the biogeochemical properties of the coastal oceans of British Columbia and Southeast Alaska; what are the dominant bottom-up control processes driving the dynamics of these regions; and what are the implications of bottom-up processes for regional primary productivity, and the foraging habitat available to migrating juvenile salmon.
1. Ciotti, Á.M., Ferreira, A. and Giannini, M.F. 2018. Seasonal and event-driven changes in the phytoplankton communities in the Araçá Bay and adjacent waters. Ocean & Coastal Management.
2. Giannini, M.F.C., Harari, J., Ciotti, A.M. 2017. The use of CBERS (China-Brazil Earth Resources Satellite) to trace the dynamics of total suspended matter at an urbanized coastal area. Brazilian Journal of Oceanography. v. 65(2), p. 309-323, doi: 10.1590/S1679-87592017135006502
3. Giannini, M.F.C. and Ciotti, A.M. 2016. Parameterization of natural phytoplankton photo-physiology: Effects of cell size and nutrient concentration. Limnology and Oceanography. v. 61, p. 1495 - 1512. doi: 10.1002/lno.10317
4. Ferreira, A., Ciotti, A.M., Giannini, M.F.C. 2014. Variability in the light absorption coefficients of phytoplankton, non-algal particles, and colored dissolved organic matter in a subtropical bay (Brazil). Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science. v. 139, p. 127 – 136
5. Giannini, M.F.C., Garcia, C.A.E., Tavano, V.M. Ciotti, A.M. 2013. Effects of low-salinity and high-turbidity waters on empirical ocean colour algorithms: An example for Southwestern Atlantic waters. Continental Shelf Research. v. 59, p. 84 - 96
6. Moser, G.A.O., Ciotti, A.M., Giannini, M.F.C., Tonini, R.T., Harari, J. 2012. Changes in phytoplankton composition in response to tides, wind-induced mixing conditions, and freshwater outflows in an urbanised estuarine complex. Brazilian Journal of Biology. v. 72(1), p. 97 - 11